The Resident Advisor (RA) is responsible for the supervision of Upward Bound students during a six-week summer component (June 4th - July 7th, 2017).
Resident Advisors will have approximately ten to fourteen students assigned to their RA group. The Resident Advisors will have the most direct contact with the students during the summer. They will act as mentors and role models for the students in addition to authority figures. The RAs are supervised by the Residence Hall Supervisors (RHSs).
The program typically employs 18-20 RAs who live in the residence halls with our students. As an RA, employment will begin on May 30th for a week of training prior to the students arrival on Sunday, June 4th. In addition, there will be a mandatory summer staff orientation on the evening of Thursday, May 2nd, 2017.
Minimum Requirements for Position
- Currently enrolled in an institution of post-secondary education (PSE).
- Successful completion of three semesters of PSE and/or completion of 30 on-campus credit hours preferred.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher preferred.
- Ability to commit 100% time and effort to Upward Bound during the summer program (May 30th - July 7th, 2017).
- Live on-campus while students are on-campus.
- Previous work experience in TRIO (Upward Bound, ETS, SSS, etc.), residence life, student activities, supervision/mentoring skills or similar preferred.
- Individuals with communication skills, counseling skills, and interest in social sciences or education preferred.
Job Description: Resident Advisor
- Responsible for the safety and security of UB students in the residence halls.
- Supervise students on campus and during trips, in addition to establishing rapport with those assigned to you (approximately 10 - 14).
- Actively participate in all activities.
- Identify students' problem areas and refer them to a counselor.
- Evaluate students weekly during the summer in addition to mentoring and addressing/correcting issues.
- Enforce residence hall and program rules consistently.
- Know where your students are at all times, and be accessible to them.
- Attend and participate in all Residence Hall Staff meetings.
- Report any infraction regarding drugs, alcohol, or sexual misconduct to both RHSs and Administrative Staff immediately.
- Accompany students to the health clinic as needed and retrieve prescriptions as necessary.
- Conduct a bed-check each night and enforce curfew rules.
- Work with several UB instructors as tutors or substitute in classes when needed.
- Work under the supervision of Residence Hall Supervisors and Administrative Staff.
- Conduct patrols on-campus as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
A typical day for the Resident Advisor will begin around 6:30 a.m. and end around 11:30 p.m. It is the responsibility of the RA to make sure the students are reporting to meals, class, and activities. You must be accountable for your students at all times!
While students are in class, RAs will report to assigned duties such as cafeteria duty, office duty, residence hall duty, classroom duty, etc. The RAs will assist with taking ill students to the health clinic with the assistance of a supervisor. At times, RAs might be asked to assist or substitute in a class. RAs will never be responsible for teaching a class; however, each RA will serve as a tutor in an elective class which includes athletic classes, art, foreign languages, photography, etc.
Resident Advisors are responsible for assisting with implementation and engaging in each activity planned throughout the summer. A positive attitude is required for all activities. Although there is a lights out policy for the students at 11:00 p.m., while students are on-campus the RAs are always on duty and need to be available at all times if a situation or emergency arises.
Pay and Time Off
The Resident Advisor pay is $1900.00 (before taxes) for the seven weeks of employment. This will be divided among three pay periods of June 15th, June 30th, and July 15th. All staff will have every weekend off beginning at approximately 4:30 p.m. on Friday and will report back to duty at approximately 5:00 p.m. on Sunday evening. In addition, the Resident Advisors will have approximately two mornings off (9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.) per week during the weeks of June 12th through July 7th. Please note that this is a very time consuming and exhausting job, but the lives you impact will be well worth your sleepless nights!
Please click on the following link for a more detailed description of the RA classifications: Bridge, Classic, and Math & Science.
Prior to completing the application for any of our residence hall jobs, please read our FAQ page. Also, feel free to email us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To successfully apply for the Resident Advisor position, applicants must complete the following two (2) items:
- Resident Advisor Application (click this link for the RA Application)
- Unofficial College Transcript (please bring or mail this to the Upward Bound Offices prior to your interview)
Immediately following your interview you will be required to complete an official MSU Application (this will be submitted to UB Offices not to Human Resources).